Pilot Zone > Pilot Zone

Fly in the car

<< < (3/4) > >>

Rush:

--- Quote from: Jim Logajan on September 14, 2022, 04:06:08 PM ---I was thinking if this happened in 1958.

--- End quote ---

I remember that scene!  Loved that movie, better than the remake.

Jaybird180:

--- Quote from: President-Elect Bob Noel on September 14, 2022, 01:24:26 PM ---insuffient information

what car
which window
environmental conditions (e.g., wind, temperature, precip)

--- End quote ---
The car and window were provided. Everyone knows that everything in aviation happens in standard day environmental conditions  ;D

Jaybird180:

--- Quote from: Rush on September 14, 2022, 02:43:54 PM ---I object to the phrase “sucked out of the car”. 

--- End quote ---
What is the basis of the objection? This isn’t a Freudian car. Maybe Bernoullian, in which the fly is “blown” out of the car, again making it a Freudian car.

Flies and legs: yes they’re retracts. ;D

President-Elect Bob Noel:

--- Quote from: Jaybird180 on September 14, 2022, 05:36:49 PM ---The car and window were provided. Everyone knows that everything in aviation happens in standard day environmental conditions  ;D

--- End quote ---

ok the window was provided, but you didn't specify make/model of the car.

was the top up, down, or welded in position?

Rush:

--- Quote from: Jaybird180 on September 14, 2022, 05:40:37 PM ---What is the basis of the objection? This isn’t a Freudian car. Maybe Bernoullian, in which the fly is “blown” out of the car, again making it a Freudian car.

Flies and legs: yes they’re retracts. ;D

--- End quote ---

So “suck” and “blow” which are opposites, mean the same thing, at least in the Freudian context.  Kind of like “flammable” and “inflammable” mean the exact same thing.  Interesting.  In fact, maybe in all contexts as any time something moves toward a vacuum it has pressure on the other side, the Bernoullian to which you refer.

The basis of my objection is that it’s not applicable when a vehicle is not pressurized.  Sudden explosive decompression at the flight levels can indeed “blow” someone out of an airplane, (call it “suck” if you want), but even at speeds faster than 60 mph in an unpressurized aircraft, standing right next to an open door will never “suck” you out.  I have personally confirmed this in real life.  There isn’t enough Bernoullian difference to move a human sized mass which is in contact with the machine. 

I suppose you could argue maybe there is in the case of the fly. It’s not standing on the floor. Nevertheless I object to the trope “sucked out” of airplanes as it is overused by uneducated media to refer to any accidental departure of a person or people from a plane at altitude involving breech of the cabin, when often it isn’t being “sucked out” that ejected the hapless souls, but detachment of structural components.

Edit:  Retracts, lol!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version