Pilot Zone > Pilot Zone

Weather Question

(1/1)

Jaybird180:
We're having some interesting weather here in the DC Area.  A couple weeks ago, we had about 2 feet of snow.  Then it's been unusually cold the last couple days.  Saturday evening on the drive home, my thermometer saw a low of 15F, which is not normal here.

Monday is snowed.  I had about 3" on my property and my children had a blast.  It was easy for me to shovel as it was very light and fluffy.  I basically pushed it out of the way.  The forecast was for the temps to drop and they pre-emptively closed a lot of schools and announced delayed opening for the Federal Government.  There was a sheet of ice I could clearly see down my street, and I'm thinking, "I'm not going out there tomorrow".

I awake this morning and it's raining.  I'm thinking the worst.  The Federal Government delay is confirmed as are the school closings.  But as I went outside in the rain, it was warm and melting the snow and ice.  I drove to work this morning with really large rain drops and 50F temps.

Anyone care to explain to a lowly PPL so I can translate to non-pilots what's going on with the weather?  BTW, my IR Groundschool starts tomorrow.  Can you tell I'm excited??? ;D ;D ;D

President-Elect Bob Noel:

--- Quote from: Jaybird180 on February 16, 2016, 09:29:35 AM ---We're having some interesting weather here in the DC Area.  A couple weeks ago, we had about 2 feet of snow.  Then it's been unusually cold the last couple days.  Saturday evening on the drive home, my thermometer saw a low of 15F, which is not normal here.

Monday is snowed.  I had about 3" on my property and my children had a blast.  It was easy for me to shovel as it was very light and fluffy.  I basically pushed it out of the way.  The forecast was for the temps to drop and they pre-emptively closed a lot of schools and announced delayed opening for the Federal Government.  There was a sheet of ice I could clearly see down my street, and I'm thinking, "I'm not going out there tomorrow".

I awake this morning and it's raining.  I'm thinking the worst.  The Federal Government delay is confirmed as are the school closings.  But as I went outside in the rain, it was warm and melting the snow and ice.  I drove to work this morning with really large rain drops and 50F temps.

Anyone care to explain to a lowly PPL so I can translate to non-pilots what's going on with the weather?  BTW, my IR Groundschool starts tomorrow.  Can you tell I'm excited??? ;D ;D ;D

--- End quote ---

long time saying in New England...  if you don't like the weather here, just wait a few minutes, it'll change.

And by "long time" I mean it was an old saying when I was a kid <mumble> decades ago. 

In other words, weather changes.  Sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's cold, sometimes it rains, etc ec etc

Jaybird180:

--- Quote from: Bob Noel on February 16, 2016, 09:55:47 AM ---
long time saying in New England...  if you don't like the weather here, just wait a few minutes, it'll change.

And by "long time" I mean it was an old saying when I was a kid <mumble> decades ago. 

In other words, weather changes.  Sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's cold, sometimes it rains, etc ec etc

--- End quote ---
Is that anything like Climate Change? 8) ;D

Anthony:

--- Quote from: Jaybird180 on February 16, 2016, 09:59:18 AM ---Is that anything like Climate Change? 8) ;D

--- End quote ---

You know I was thinking the other day that Man Made Climate Change has NOT been part of the discussion in either the Democrat, nor Republican debates.  Nobody is talking about it anymore except Obama and the EPA.  Stick a fork in MMGW! 

Jaybird180:

--- Quote from: Anthony on February 16, 2016, 02:49:57 PM ---You know I was thinking the other day that Man Made Climate Change has NOT been part of the discussion in either the Democrat, nor Republican debates.  Nobody is talking about it anymore except Obama and the EPA.  Stick a fork in MMGW!

--- End quote ---
I guess this answers your question in another thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version