Pilot Zone > Pilot Zone

Travel Policy and the 10 hr trip to PHX from SAN

(1/2) > >>

acrogimp:
Our current company travel policy prohibits flying myself in the Yak or in a Club plane, and I have to be in PHX tomorrow to kick off a new project with a new customer.

Left the house at 3:30, plan was fly out Sunday evening via the Majors (Delta), get a good night's sleep, and jump in bright eyed and bushy tailed at 0800.

WAS being the operative term. 

1 hr delay out of SAN, followed by 2 hr delay out of LAX, was going to arrive around 9:30PM, now will not make my hotel until 1AM.

Would literally have been 3 hours faster to drive my Jeep from my house to Mesa.  The Yak with a fuel stop would have been 6 hrs faster.  172RG or 182 would have been 7 hrs faster.

AAAAARGH!!!

Sitting here in LAX, with a COMM-ASEL/Instr........working up a proposed change to the travel policy ;D

'Gimp

Becky (My pronouns are Assigned/By/God):
Is it a liability thing?  Hope you get some good sleep!

nddons:
That's frustrating.

Is your Yak IFR capable?

DJTorrente:
Does your company book your travel for you or are you on your own?  Can you tell them you'd rather drive?  Google maps says its about 350 miles and 5+ hrs one way.  Honestly, at that distance, I'm never flying commercial anyway.  The overhead hassle getting to and from the airport on either end, security waits, doesn't save anything -- time, money or aggravation.  And if your expense report lists 355 miles at the IRS approved ~$0.51 per mile, who's to say you didn't drive?

nddons:

--- Quote from: DJTorrente on November 02, 2015, 11:25:53 AM ---Does your company book your travel for you or are you on your own?  Can you tell them you'd rather drive?  Google maps says its about 350 miles and 5+ hrs one way.  Honestly, at that distance, I'm never flying commercial anyway.  The overhead hassle getting to and from the airport on either end, security waits, doesn't save anything -- time, money or aggravation.  And if your expense report lists 355 miles at the IRS approved ~$0.51 per mile, who's to say you didn't drive?

--- End quote ---

I do the same thing when going to Minneapolis. It's a 5 hour drive, vs a 1 hour flight by airliner. But add boarding 30 minutes earlier, getting to the airport an hour before that, a 45 minute drive to the airport, and probably 45 minutes minimum to downtown MLPS.  So call it 1 hour longer driving, but that presumes the flight times are when I want them, which never happens. I call it a push.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version