Pilot Zone > Rusty & Student Pilots

Memories from primary training

<< < (2/2)

Username:
Doing my tailwheel transition training in my 170.  Cold winter day.  Perfect approach, on speed, on target, everything perfect.  On short final the instructor said "GO AROUND".  Ok, no big deal.  Push the power in and..... silence.  There I was, short final, prop not all blurry but just sitting there.  Landed without any fuss and coasted to a stop.  Silence all around.  The instructor said that he's heard students say many things when the engine stops unexpectedly.  He's never heard someone say "oops."  I don't remember, but that sounds like me.  Turns out that when it's really cold you can't just suddenly give it full throttle. You have to do it slowly and gently.  Like all things.  Restarted the engine, took off, and went around the pattern just to shake it off.

Bamaflyer:

--- Quote from: Rush on August 13, 2022, 01:05:06 PM ---Found this buried in a box today.  Something I had written long ago about a lesson:

Dual cross country with the CFI today in gusty bumpy conditions.  He put the foggles on me and had me fly on instruments the whole $#%&@ two hours!  Four airports and four landings in gusty, wind shear conditions. VOR tracking with wind corrections.  And he's talking the entire time: 

Him:  "HOLD THAT ALTITUDE!"

Me:  "It's the thermals, Sir."

Him:  "YOU'RE WAY OFF HEADING AGAIN!"

Me:  "Oh... so I am.  I was trying to hold altitude."

Him:  "SCAN! DON'T FIXATE ON ONE INSTRUMENT!"

Me:  "This is hard!"

Him:  "If it were easy, everyone would be a pilot and there'd be even more idiots up here than there are now."

--- End quote ---

As a student pilot on a dual XC or instrument rating training? If the former that CFI was an idiot IMO.

Rush:

--- Quote from: Bamaflyer on August 25, 2022, 07:32:58 AM ---As a student pilot on a dual XC or instrument rating training? If the former that CFI was an idiot IMO.

--- End quote ---

Student dual XC.  Yes, he was an idiot anyway.

Number7:
I was doing late afternoon takeoffs and landings - just trimming up for my practical.
The airport was almost deserted and I was enjoying the still air and uncongested pattern.

As I approached on final, a deer ran out of the woods and ran alongside the runway for all the world like he wanted to race.
Another pilot watched him as I gently accelerated up and away and radioed me...

"Hey??? If I hit him, do you think I can have him for my winter freezer?"

Hmmm....

It was later that same afternoon that an armadillo ran out and I just barely clipped him with a wheel pant.

He rolled like a basketball, hopped up and ran back to the woods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version