Pilot Zone > Rusty & Student Pilots

Accelerated Instrument vs. regular

<< < (16/16)

Username:
So... an update.  The plane is out of annual.  The weather has been horrible with fog, low clouds, and single digit high temps so having the plane down hasn't been a problem.  Plus there's a lot of snow piled up against the hangar doors so I couldn't get it back in anyway.  Got a lot of "nice to do" non critical things done.  And some good debugging.  The magnetic compass has been 30 degrees off ever since the new avionics.  When they did the pitot static check they noted that everything was installed with steel screws instead of the normal brass screws.  And now the compass is right on.  Sheesh.  Not a critical item, but one of those an inspector would note as being out of spec and therefore not airworthy.  I think it has to be +/- 10 degrees.

But in the downtime I did some studying and took the instrument written test yesterday.  Missed two for a 97%.  Once again I WAY overstudied.

Rush:

--- Quote from: Username on February 03, 2024, 08:38:54 AM ---So... an update.  The plane is out of annual.  The weather has been horrible with fog, low clouds, and single digit high temps so having the plane down hasn't been a problem.  Plus there's a lot of snow piled up against the hangar doors so I couldn't get it back in anyway.  Got a lot of "nice to do" non critical things done.  And some good debugging.  The magnetic compass has been 30 degrees off ever since the new avionics.  When they did the pitot static check they noted that everything was installed with steel screws instead of the normal brass screws.  And now the compass is right on.  Sheesh.  Not a critical item, but one of those an inspector would note as being out of spec and therefore not airworthy.  I think it has to be +/- 10 degrees.

But in the downtime I did some studying and took the instrument written test yesterday.  Missed two for a 97%.  Once again I WAY overstudied.

--- End quote ---

You couldn’t get it back in?   I was expecting you to say you couldn’t get it out of the hangar.  You mean the poor thing is sitting outside?

Congrats on the test score. Nothing wrong with over studying.

Username:

--- Quote from: Rush on February 03, 2024, 08:55:49 AM ---You couldn’t get it back in?   I was expecting you to say you couldn’t get it out of the hangar.  You mean the poor thing is sitting outside?

Congrats on the test score. Nothing wrong with over studying.

--- End quote ---
Yep.  Took the plane out and over to maint's heated hangar around the end of December.  Then we had a HUGE dump of snow.  Then a bunch slid off the roof against the door.  About four feet of snow and ice.  The airport plows did a good job on the taxiway and the ramp leading to the middle door, but the other doors were blocked solid. The plane was all happy sitting in their heated hangar while they worked on it.  Once they got done, and a couple of planes that were for parts out from in front of it, I got to move it to a less great temporary hangar.  We have a week or so in the 40s so that should be enough to clear the doors so she can come home.  Maybe even nice enough weather to go slip the surly bonds of Earth!

Username:
An update.  My CFII is working on clearing out some primary students and I'm working on clearing out my schedule.  I feel that flying with the CFII only once or so a week isn't helpful to rapid progress so we're delaying until mid-April.  Twice a week was good, but there were too many days canceled due to weather.  So now we'll fly three times a week on a regular schedule until done.  In the meantime I'll focus on precision flying, ATC communications (for real), and all that.

Username:
Here we are at the end of April.  Flying as often as the weather permits.  Approaches, procedure turns, holds, frequency changes, and getting used to ATC directions.  Amazing how a CFII can make 1.5 hours seem like 6.  Getting smoother as I get the routine down. It's actually starting to be a lot of fun!

Best part was the end of a VOR approach... Foggles off, get aligned, landing configuration, slow down.  10 knot crosswind.  A King Air waiting for takeoff watching my every move.  Landed a three point squeaker.  Instructor said, "THAT'S how you tailwheel!".   Felt really good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version