Pilot Zone > Accident Review/Never Again (I hope..)

CAF Wings Over Dallas Mid-Air

<< < (3/6) > >>

nddons:

--- Quote from: Username on December 05, 2022, 01:51:37 PM ---I'm a member of CAF mostly because I support their mission of restoring and flying warbirds.  But I'm not a member of any Wing.  I'm not aware of anything strange going on in HQ but I'm also not really looking.  Would you be willing to share what you know?

I've been a member of several local EAA chapters that range from an excuse for old farts to drink to something really real.

--- End quote ---
Hmmm, let me think about this. I don’t want to publicly air some things.

I believed in their mission as well. I was Maintenance Officer for 4 years, Wing Leader for 2 years, and Chairman of the Gathering of Warbirds airshow for 3 shows, raising over $90,000 for the wing for support of the CAF aircraft assigned to our wing - a 1943 Fairchild PT-26, and 1943 North American SNJ-4, and a 195? Beechcraft T-34. I’m a pilot sponsor of the PT-26, and a sponsor of the SNJ.

I’m proud to have 108.3 hours in this beautiful PT-26 Cornell. This is a picture from a plane spotter of me landing at OSH in 2017.

This plane hasn’t flown in 18 months due to Mx issues screwed up by the current wing leader. Just a symptom of many current leadership and financial problems.

Rush:
I had a chance to ride in a warbird and decided to go with Phil Knight in his Extra instead. Not sure if I'm sad or glad. Probably both.

nddons:

--- Quote from: Rush on December 05, 2022, 03:31:50 PM ---I had a chance to ride in a warbird and decided to go with Phil Knight in his Extra instead. Not sure if I'm sad or glad. Probably both.

--- End quote ---
At our home airport of Waukesha (KUES) we have a lot of warbirds. Off the top of my head:

-Fairchild PT-26 Cornell
-North American Aviation SNJ-4
-Two North American Aviation T-6G
-North American Aviation South African T-6
-Canadian Car and Foundry Harvard (Canadian T-6)
-North American T-28 Trojan
-Two Beechcraft T-34 Mentor
-Three Stearman (I don’t want to live in a world where Stearman pops up as a misspelling)
-Two deHavilland Chupmunk
-Lockheed T-33 T-Bird
-North American F-86 Sabre
-L-39
-North American P-51 Mustang (bow gone because the owner died of pancreatic cancer)
-Ryan L-17 (Navion) (Mine)
-US Army TH-55A Osage helicopter

I’d ride with almost every one of these guys.

Rush:

--- Quote from: nddons on December 05, 2022, 03:46:36 PM ---At our home airport of Waukesha (KUES) we have a lot of warbirds. Off the top of my head:

-Fairchild PT-26 Cornell
-North American Aviation SNJ-4
-Two North American Aviation T-6G
-North American Aviation South African T-6
-Canadian Car and Foundry Harvard (Canadian T-6)
-North American T-28 Trojan
-Two Beechcraft T-34 Mentor
-Three Stearman (I don’t want to live in a world where Stearman pops up as a misspelling)
-Two deHavilland Chupmunk
-Lockheed T-33 T-Bird
-North American F-86 Sabre
-L-39
-North American P-51 Mustang (bow gone because the owner died of pancreatic cancer)
-Ryan L-17 (Navion) (Mine)
-US Army TH-55A Osage helicopter

I’d ride with almost every one of these guys.

--- End quote ---

It was a T-6 if I recall.  I might have a picture of it somewhere unless it got destroyed in the flood.

nddons:

--- Quote from: Rush on December 05, 2022, 05:46:19 PM ---It was a T-6 if I recall.  I might have a picture of it somewhere unless it got destroyed in the flood.

--- End quote ---
T-6s are as close as you’ll get (unless you want to pay a few thousand dollars) to flying a fighter. They are big, heavy, and a real man’s airplane. Fully aerobatic, but most pilots do “gentlemen’s aerobatics.”  Loops, barrel rolls, etc. 

I think you will love it!  They are a little tricky getting in the back seat. You have to step from the wing up to a little 2”x3” metal tab sticking out of the fuselage, and then step onto the seat. Best wait until you’re 100% with your hip! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version