Pilot Zone > Pilot Zone

Saturn V

<< < (2/4) > >>

Username:

--- Quote from: Rush on May 09, 2023, 01:22:11 PM ---I can’t even imagine the guts it took to be in that capsule.  When I was a kid that’s what I thought I wanted to do but in reality I don’t have the stuff.

--- End quote ---
Especially after what happened in Apollo 1.  Time, cost, quality: choose any two.

Jim Logajan:

--- Quote from: Anthony on May 09, 2023, 12:47:20 PM ---I think I remember that being out but didn't get to see it either.  Does the U.S. have the balls anymore to do anything even remotely like that again?  No.

--- End quote ---

SpaceX.

Private enterprise, though.

Anthony:

--- Quote from: Jim Logajan on May 09, 2023, 03:38:52 PM ---SpaceX.

Private enterprise, though.

--- End quote ---

Manned missions to the Moon?

Jim Logajan:

--- Quote from: Anthony on May 09, 2023, 03:40:23 PM ---Manned missions to the Moon?

--- End quote ---

Well, so far manned missions to orbit. As they say in astrodynamics, when you get to Earth orbit you are half way to everywhere else in the universe. (As measured by required delta-V.)

nddons:

--- Quote from: Rush on May 09, 2023, 01:22:11 PM ---I can’t even imagine the guts it took to be in that capsule.  When I was a kid that’s what I thought I wanted to do but in reality I don’t have the stuff.

--- End quote ---
I think some of the greatest courage came on Apollo 8 with Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and William Anders.  The first manned spacecraft to leave the relative safety and pull of earth’s orbit, eject itself to a foreign moon, circle the moon, and then have the faith in the scientists and mathematicians that a certain length and power of burn would eject a spacecraft from the lunar orbit, point it to some precise point in space such that they will hit the earth’s atmosphere at precisely the right angle and speed, and not either A burn up or B bounce off to some other point in the solar system.

Oh, and the scientists and mathematicians used slide rules.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version