Pilot Zone > Accident Review/Never Again (I hope..)

Headwind gives you more speed?

(1/5) > >>

Rush:
I’d never heard of this incident. Very interesting, but at about minute 18 in this video he says three things improve the situation:

1.  Air temp drops by 5 deg C giving the engines more thrust

2.  Wind direction change gives more headwind “also giving them more speed”

3.  They get the water glycol system back up increasing engine thrust

“These three things together start to cause the airplane to accelerate.”

Am I a total idiot here?  Or is he saying something wrong?  Number 1 and 3 make sense, but number 2 does nothing for airspeed.  It in fact reduces relative ground speed, which is a good thing if you want to crash, try to land, but doesn’t actually do anything for your flyability.  It doesn’t cause the plane to accelerate, except in the moment of the actual change in the wind velocity vector oncoming to the wing. That’s a relative acceleration between the air and the plane, momentarily, right? But once oriented into the headwind, air is no longer “accelerating” therefore not really helping, and they are actually left with only 1 and 3 helping them.

Or did momentary wind acceleration due to direction change bump up their velocity and it settled a couple knots higher?  Is that what he means by “it gives them more speed?”  If so I’m surprised it would have a significant effect. Would it even do that, or would it drop back down?

Lucifer:
These idiots produce the youtube videos looking for hits.

These are amateurs trying to convince you they are experts.   Much like PoA, they typically are clueless.

I didn't click on the video to watch as I really don't want to give them a click nor waste my time looking at his "analysis".

Rush:

--- Quote from: Lucifer on February 26, 2022, 08:29:07 AM ---These idiots produce the youtube videos looking for hits.

These are amateurs trying to convince you they are experts.   Much like PoA, they typically are clueless.

I didn't click on the video to watch as I really don't want to give them a click nor waste my time looking at his "analysis".

--- End quote ---

Also the picture is clickbait.  The plane never hit anything and eventually landed safely back at the airport.

Lucifer:

--- Quote from: Rush on February 26, 2022, 08:48:36 AM ---Also the picture is clickbait.  The plane never hit anything and eventually landed safely back at the airport.

--- End quote ---

Yep.

It's like those clowns on PoA that produce stupid videos then go there and start a thread in order to get more clicks. 

Anthony:
A headwind can increase your airspeed but NOT your ground speed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version