Pilot Zone > Cool Places to Fly

Grand Hotel on Mackinac?

(1/2) > >>

Username:
My wife and I never had a real honeymoon.  Lots of great trips, but nothing specifically honeymooney.  I'm thinking of flying us over to Mackinac Island and spending a couple days in the Grand Hotel.  Do it right.  Now that we can afford it, money is no object.  Within reason.

Any pireps on the airport and the hotel and the island in general?

Becky (My pronouns are Assigned/By/God):
Not a pilot, never been there, but looked at the website. They don’t open until May, but that gives you time to build flight time and anticipate a wonderful honeymoon in a special place.

Username:
Plenty of time as it's in August.  She's been reluctant to go on trips until I'm instrument rated and proficient.  Although it's a nice place, she doesn't want to be stuck by weather.

Little Joe:

--- Quote from: Username on February 05, 2024, 05:00:32 AM ---Plenty of time as it's in August.  She's been reluctant to go on trips until I'm instrument rated and proficient.  Although it's a nice place, she doesn't want to be stuck by weather.

--- End quote ---
IR sure makes trips more stress free, but I'm sure you (and your wife) realize that you can still be stuck by weather.  High winds, lightning, hail etc can still ground you.  But cloud and rain restrictions diminish and those are generally the biggest issues.

We flew into Macinac a few years ago in October.  We had beautiful weather but no reservations and there was not a single hotel room to be found so it was just a day trip for us.  We continued on to Sault ste. Marie Canada on our way to Alaska.  We couldn't have made the trip without an IR.

Username:
Time to spare?  Go by air!  The most frustrating around here are the days where it's 1000 broken but also fairly low tops.  Or where it's scattered but will close in after a couple of hours.  I plan to keep up the proficiency, but not push too much.  Flying should be fun and only a bit of a challenge.  High winds, storms, ice, low ceilings are all no-go and enjoy the day on the ground.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version