Pilot Zone > Accident Review/Never Again (I hope..)

Wingsuiter decapitated by plane’s wing

(1/1)

Rush:
Happened in 2018, in France.

https://www.businessinsider.com/french-pilot-decapitated-skydiver-with-plane-wing-found-guilty-2023-11

nddons:
Note to self. Don’t carry wing suit idiots.

Rush:
Here’s what I find bizarre:

--- Quote ---The pilot was found guilty of manslaughter and operating an aircraft without a valid aeronautical license

He was given a suspended sentence of 12 months and banned from flying for a year.
--- End quote ---

He was found guilty in a criminal court of manslaughter and flying without a license, and he gets a suspended sentence and can’t fly for one year?  Is he supposed to get his pilot’s “license” in that year?

Maybe something’s been lost in translation.

Username:
Strange accident.  Pilot was used to free fall and did his usual dive back to the airport.  Not realizing that wingsuits don't go straight down.  And he was carrying a mixed load of winssuits and freefall.  OOPS.  It is a good thing that the wingsuit emergency parachute deployed as missing a head would really mess with weight and balance.  And it makes the remains easier to find.

I wonder if the pilot just didn't have his commercial certificate but was otherwise licensed, or if it was a couple of days out of renewal.  The story (like all MSM aviation stories) is unclear.  No idea how France does things.

Rush:

--- Quote from: Username on December 01, 2023, 06:12:05 AM ---Strange accident.  Pilot was used to free fall and did his usual dive back to the airport.  Not realizing that wingsuits don't go straight down.  And he was carrying a mixed load of winssuits and freefall.  OOPS.  It is a good thing that the wingsuit emergency parachute deployed as missing a head would really mess with weight and balance.  And it makes the remains easier to find.

I wonder if the pilot just didn't have his commercial certificate but was otherwise licensed, or if it was a couple of days out of renewal.  The story (like all MSM aviation stories) is unclear.  No idea how France does things.

--- End quote ---

Yep, maybe it’s some separate certification to carry jumpers or something. They can’t mean he wasn’t basically certified as a pilot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version