Spin Zone > Spin Zone

Biden forgives $10,000 in student loans

(1/13) > >>

Username:
Makes me glad that I worked hard and paid back my student loans so now I can pay back someone else's student loans.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/24/politics/student-loans-joe-biden-white-house/index.html

Jim Logajan:
The WSJ has an article on this and pointed out that WH Chief of Staff Ron Klain had tried to convince Biden to do the debt forgiveness because it would be popular with young college voters. When I saw Username's post I went back to the article to quote that portion, but the WSJ editors had already removed it.

jb1842:
And to think my dumbass took CLEP tests and tuition assistance while active duty then used my GI Bill while working 50+ hours a week to graduate debt free.

Username:
I worked while I did my undergrad program.  Took an extra couple of semesters but I graduated debt free.  Worked for a few years and then decided to go back to school.  Saved a bunch and had enough for the MS.  Decided that the academic life was for me and continued for the PhD.  Didn't save enough for that and work didn't pay enough so took out student loans.  Got married, lived VERY frugally (we agreed to live on only one of our incomes and bank the rest, she makes more than I do) for a couple of years and paid back all of our loans.  Still living on one (of two) incomes and wondering where we should retire and what kind of second airplane to buy.  I guess our mistake was getting degrees in something that pays.  Not gender studies in underwater basketweaving non-white art appreciation.  Where their first job after graduation consists of "Do you want fries with that?"

nddons:
Biden has no legal authority to incur this cost to the government. Someone should read the Constitution to him every once in a while.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version