Pilot Zone > Accident Review/Never Again (I hope..)

Watsonville

(1/4) > >>

Rush:
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2022/08/cessna-340a-n740wj-fatal-accident.html

nddons:
There is a heated debate on a FB page on this one. I heard the radio transmissions. I don’t think the kid doing his solo in the 152 did anything be wrong.

EppyGA - White Christian Domestic Terrorist:
Lots of talk about ROW and who has it.  It does not appear the twin was on an IFR plan, if someone knows differently please speak up. Even if he was he was likely cleared for the visual. I was not taught that straight in was proper traffic pattern entry. More than one plane were in the pattern, twin should have broken it off and entered the pattern instead of barreling on in.  Doesn't matter now, they're all dead.

Rush:

--- Quote from: nddons on August 20, 2022, 11:38:18 AM ---There is a heated debate on a FB page on this one. I heard the radio transmissions. I don’t think the kid doing his solo in the 152 did anything be wrong.

--- End quote ---

From what I can tell, he did nothing wrong at all.  The twin guy was at fault.   He failed to see and avoid.  He knew the guy was there.  He should have been the one to initiate the missed as soon as he heard the 152 announce turn to base.

I'm going to assume he had his wife as pax (plus dog) and hopefully she gave him hell on the ride down. "You killed us, you asshole!"  I know that's what I'd be saying.

nddons:

--- Quote from: EppyGA - White Christian Domestic Terrorist on August 20, 2022, 11:51:06 AM ---Lots of talk about ROW and who has it.  It does not appear the twin was on an IFR plan, if someone knows differently please speak up. Even if he was he was likely cleared for the visual. I was not taught that straight in was proper traffic pattern entry. More than one plane were in the pattern, twin should have broken it off and entered the pattern instead of barreling on in.  Doesn't matter now, they're all dead.

--- End quote ---
That’s the crux of the argument on a FB page. Someone said “Get your instrument rating and you’ll learn that you go straight in.”  Totally ignorant statement. I have my IR, but when it comes to being on an approach in VMC, you get no priority or privileges.

True the FARs give priority to someone on final to someone not on final. But so what?  Does that apply to 3 mile finals?  10 mile finals?  You can be right, even if end up being dead right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version