Pilot Zone > Accident Review/Never Again (I hope..)

Watsonville

<< < (4/4)

Rush:

--- Quote from: EppyGA - White Christian Domestic Terrorist on August 25, 2022, 10:06:30 AM ---But the diagram does not show final as an airplane ten miles out.

--- End quote ---

Exactly.  So, “… before turning onto the final approach, that there is no danger of colliding with another aircraft that is already established on the final approach.”  therefore the 152 pilot is not at fault.  He determined there was a danger, yes, but not a danger of colliding with an aircraft already established on final.  The twin was nowhere near final, not until he zoomed up into the 152’s business out of nowhere.

The 152 was aware the twin was a potential danger but didn’t view him as being established on final, if you define final as within the dimension of the base leg, and the potential danger was remote. He thought he had time.  The whole thing boils down to the speed of the twin plus the 152 pilots unawareness of that speed until it was too late.

Mr Pou:
The twin coming in at 2x normal approach speed to me simply means the twin driver was trying to beat the 152 to the runway. Well, he sure beat the 152...

I do straight in approaches and still will do them in the future, but I listen to the radio intently and look for traffic. If anyone is in the pattern, anywhere in the pattern, I break off the straight in and join the pattern as expected. And yes, I call that on the radio such that those in the pattern understand my intentions.

Rush:

--- Quote from: Mr Pou on August 27, 2022, 11:27:17 AM ---The twin coming in at 2x normal approach speed to me simply means the twin driver was trying to beat the 152 to the runway. Well, he sure beat the 152...

I do straight in approaches and still will do them in the future, but I listen to the radio intently and look for traffic. If anyone is in the pattern, anywhere in the pattern, I break off the straight in and join the pattern as expected. And yes, I call that on the radio such that those in the pattern understand my intentions.

--- End quote ---

People commenting have looked at the history of this plane’s flights and apparently coming in fast like that was his habit. In this case yes, he was aware of the 152 and surely intended to get in front of him for the runway, but he had typically came in fast, presumably whether there was traffic in the pattern or not.  For that to be your default seems to indicate a lack of caution, of not taking the time to do as you do, listen and look intently to get the whole picture of traffic. 

There is now an obit posted on Kathryn’s.  He seemed like a nice guy but had a lot of irons in the fire.  Maybe he was a type A personality, approached everything full speed ahead. Impatient? You can get away with that for a while. Maybe age played into it, you don’t think as fast as you get older.  He might have put together the physics and projected the danger sooner if he were younger, or perhaps started his turn a split second sooner just enough to avoid the hit.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2022/08/cessna-340a-n740wj-fatal-accident.html

Interesting how they wrote that up:  Passed away unexpectedly - along with his wife and dog.  Might as well go ahead and add “in a plane crash”.  Anyone reading it who didn’t know about the crash is gonna go “huh”?  Usually when a 75 year old “passes away unexpectedly”, it’s a stroke or heart attack.

jb1842:

--- Quote from: Mr Pou on August 27, 2022, 11:27:17 AM ---The twin coming in at 2x normal approach speed to me simply means the twin driver was trying to beat the 152 to the runway. Well, he sure beat the 152...

--- End quote ---

If you are alone in the pattern, I'm all about changing things about as long as you do it safely and you don't endanger others. You never know when you will need those skills. At the airport I fly at, we fly right hand patterns quite a bit due to retard liberals. It took a bit to get used to. Now it's normal to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version