Pilot Zone > Pilot Zone

Pedantically speaking: Spins

(1/11) > >>

Jaybird180:
"...one wing is stalled more than the other."

Is there such a thing as a wing being partially or not fully stalled? I'm thinking...no. It's either stalled (broken boundary layer) or it's intact.
Educate me.

Caveat: a design could have a wing designed with washout (twist) so that one portion along its span stalls before another portion.

President-Elect Bob Noel:
stall is a function of AOA.

It is my understanding that, at least on the cherokee, the wing root has a different angle of attack than the outer parts of the wing.  The purpose of that is so there is aileron authority even when there is reduced lift.

so, as you recognized, with twist, one part of the wing will in fact stall first

Rush:
Agree with Bob.  No time to elaborate further at the moment.

Jaybird180:
The design goal of the twist is to provide the pilot aileron feedback in the yoke, a little more stall margin and additional roll stability at the overall cost of aerodynamic efficiency in flight.

However, this definition...is it what makes an airplane spin?

Jim Logajan:
I found only one web site that discussed the meaning of the phrase in any depth:

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/maneuvers/spin-recovery-purpose-of-each-step/

Basically sounds like they are using it as synonymous with "one wing is producing less lift than the other."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version